Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Days 13 - 15: Celebrating A Holiday Weekend Detox Style and Week 2 Results

The long weekend has completely screwed up my concept of time. Monday felt like Sunday....Tuesday feels like Monday. On the bright side - Friday will be here before I know it!

Despite enduring Labor Day weekend, I managed to lose 3 more pounds. That's a total of 9 lbs in 2 weeks. Go me! I have noticed a difference in my pants as my muffin top is no longer cinched and hanging over at the waist. I have also been able to wear some form fitting tops that show a smoother curve along the waist instead of the 2 or 3 rolls of flesh I have had in the past year.

Over the long weekend we hit up the beach and had friends over for a cook out. The family beach day was fun and relaxing. As the tide went out we went for a long walk and collected seashells. To be honest, I collected seashells my son was more interested in collecting sea grass. My husband just walked along making sure our son didn't drown. Food seemed like a non issue. I packed snacks, my shakes, and sandwiches for the boys. I even managed to read an entire issue of Entertainment Weekly cover to cover while watching my son and husband dig in the sand with construction trucks.

I found ways to eat out and eat clean this weekend too. For instance after the beach, I needed to go grocery shopping as I was having people over the next day for a cook out so we went to Whole Food did our grocery shopping and ate at their prepared food stations. I avoided all the "free samples" along the aisles (which was really really hard to resist) and had a sesame kale salad, a quinoa sweet potato cake with cranberries, and some wheat berry salad (which I think is gluten but it looked good).

The cook out was a success from a food perspective too: grilled chicken, sauteed peppers and onions, black beans and brown rice, homemade mango salsa, guacamole and baked GF chips that I made from cutting up GF tortillas. My friend brought fruit salad and cupcakes (which were not GF or sugar free). I also made "mock"jitos. I did indulge in a cupcake. It was small but worth the splurge.

Monday was another wonderful family day just walking around town. We hit the playground, stopped in the local toy store for our son to play with the train table and ate lunch out. In our town we are fortunate to have a pretty tasty vegan restaurant.. After lunch my son wanted ice cream so I went to a consignment boutique and my husband took him for ice cream. I only have so much self control and that would have put me over the edge. I LOVE ICE CREAM! After that we rode a sight seeing trolley around town as this month is free for residents.

I love spending time with my son and my husband particularly family outings. When I was a kid my parents were divorced and I'd see my dad on Saturdays He'd usually find ways to entertain me. Occasionally we'd go to the MET but primarily we'd go to the movies, the arcade (more for my dad than me), exotic car showrooms because my dad loved sports cars and we'd play pool. How many dads would take their 10 year old daughter to a pool hall? Probably just mine but I am a pretty decent pool player now. My mom who I lived with worked a lot during the week and on Fridays we'd go out to dinner and go shopping or a movie. Rarely was I in a room or out with my parents together because it was always tense, uncomfortable and anxiety provoking.

I try really hard to make outings a regular part of our family life. I am trying harder and harder to make them less about food and more about fun. As we enter the fall season this is going to be increasingly more difficult. As the weather gets chillier comfort food become more enticing. Apple picking always involves cider donuts and other delectable bakery goods. Halloween = candy, candy, and more candy. One day at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment