Monday, September 10, 2012

Days 18 -20 & Week 3 Results: Why is food so important?

I weighed in this morning for an official weight result for week 3 and I am down 4lbs from last Monday. This brings my total weight loss to 13lbs. I saw a friend yesterday who I had not seen since before I started the cleanse and the first thing she said to me was "did you lose weight?" It was definitely encouraging to have someone notice.

I really love food and in the past couple of weeks I have been trying to redefine my relationship with it. One thing that I have noticed is that I'm not as obsessed with food. I used to find myself thinking about it constantly. I would have these frenzied thoughts about when I was going to eat especially if I didn't have any food prepared to take with me somewhere. If for example I didn't bring lunch when I was off to work or didn't have time to make breakfast, I would be in a state of panic about the route I would take and what food places would be along the way. Ironically no matter where I ended up stopping I would always make a poor food choice. By poor I mean high fat and high carb like a sausage egg and cheese on a croissant from Dunkin Donuts or a turkey club with mayonnaise from a local eatery.

Since the cleanse I have more restrictions, less choices but even less anxiety about food. I really enjoy the structure. Its helping me remain focused on why I love food. I am a visual and textural person. I am also an artist so when it comes to food the ingredients are my palette and my meal is a balanced aesthetically pleasing composition.

Yesterday was the first time I ate breakfast in a while and I was inspired to make hash from a recipe I found in my new cookbook Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso. I had breakfast sausage meat in my freezer from pasture raised pork so I mixed that with grated sweet potatoes, onions, apples, coconut oil and cinnamon. I topped it with 3 egg whites. This was also what I had for dinner tonight. I cannot describe to you how beautiful, fragrant, and satisfying this meal was. I know the sausage meat was a bit of splurge but well worth the indulgence.

I know I have only been on this cleanse 20 days but when I think back to how I used to eat B.C. (before cleanse) I imagine myself as an addict just looking for some kind of tasty fix...literally. I still want to experience those slow, satisfying swallows of  gastronomic pleasure. I feel the need to add a disclaimer right about now as this post appears to be entering a "fifty shades of grey" ode to food. I guess what I'm trying to say is that post cleanse I still want to enjoy food but not enjoy food. It's about finding the balance between food being important, sustaining, and pleasing. I think I've said enough.

2 comments:

  1. 41 Pounds? WOW!!!! Among the best results I have seen - Amazing. Great insights on your journey as well! (That hash recipe sounds downright orgasmic!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 41lbs...I wish! No 13lbs down but who knows what the next 10 days will bring.

    ReplyDelete