Sunday, September 30, 2012

Post Cleanse Week 1: Highs & Lows

Post cleanse eating and drinking is harder than I had anticipated. I had heard comments from others about introducing foods back to their diet and their bodies having extreme reactions to said food/drink. I was really hoping for some drastic bodily reaction but nothing happened. The reason I'm disappointed because I was hoping to be able to tell myself "THAT is something you absolutely CANNOT consume" and be done with it. Unfortunately its just too easy to fall back into eating certain foods. Oh coffee with milk and sugar...no problem. Morning toast for breakfast...sure. Cake WITH frosting...absolutely. Pizza...and twice on Sundays!

Don't get me wrong I haven't blown all the weight I have lost. As I mentioned last week I did gain a 3 pounds last weekend at the destination wedding but despite the dips into forbidden foods, I have still managed to drop 2 of those pounds. I also got my period yesterday so I'm blaming the other pound still lingering on that.

I have tried to cut down to 1 shake a day and try eating more food. While I'm not being as careful I am still eating well. I haven't had a lot of time to cook this week but I did make a chicken soup with a cooked chicken from the supermarket and used lots of vegetables I had already (leeks, carrots, celery, cabbage, parsnips and a couple small potatoes). I also made stuffed peppers with Quinoa, spinach, kale and some leftover Bologanese sauce I had made the week before. I am still snacking on carrots, apples and have started to eat some GF rice chips. I have also been adding avocado to my shakes.

Last night we went to dinner after we took our son bowling for the fist time...he loved it btw and ended up at a pizza place. I had a glass of red wine - remember I said "he" loved it and two slices of pizza. It was a specialty pizza and didn't have much cheese but it still was pizza. I have certainly had other things that were not very cleanse friendly. For instance while watching GLEE the other night I had my detox tea with a side of Annie's cheddar bunnies/pretzel mix. In my defense, I knew I was PMSing and was craving something salty fierce.

The one thing I have realized is that now that there I have more food choices I need to put a  concrete plan in place. Tonight I am going to go back to planning out my food for the week. I did this in week one of the cleanse when I had to eliminate all those foods. I think now that I'm trying to be eating in a cleanse friendly manner I need to be more organized about what I will be eating over the course of the next 7 days.

I do think that overall I want to avoid dairy and gluten as much as I can. Typically if I want either of those its in the form of baked goods and ice cream so I'll also be avoiding sugars too. I still feel good about myself and have been able to wear most of the jeans in my closet which I haven't worn in years.  I have also been in a fantastic mood this week which is unusual for me. There are a lot of positive changes going on in my life right now and I feel really good at them. This is also equally motivating to me to stay focused on this change in food choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment